Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is the most common cause of irregular menstrual cycles due to hormonal abnormalities. It is characterized by menstrual irregularity, increased androgen levels, obesity and Ultrasound Scan showing multiple small follicles in the ovary i.e. Polycystic Ovaries.
FEATURES OF PCOS;
· Irregular menstrual Cycle i.e.; scanty menstrual bleeding
· Delayed menses
· Excessive facial hair
· Blackish discoloration of skin at the nape of neck
· Obesity – androgen from the ovaries
· LH : FSH ratio altered
· Increased insulin levels
· Increased cholesterol Levels
Consequences of PCOS
· Infertility due to anovulation i.e. failure to produce ovum/egg
· Diabetes mellitus
· Increased cholesterol levels
· Endometrial cancer after some years due to hormonal abnormalities
· Lifestyle modification i.e.
a. Healthy diet
b. Exercise for weight reduction
· Regularization of menstrual cycle with continued oral contraceptive pills
When to contact your Gynecologist?
· Increased weight
· Irregular delayed periods
· Prolonged period
· Increased facial hair growth
Treat the problem early, avoid complications later.